ClipCollect is a personal database for text snippets and a website builder. Gathering data with ClipCollect means creating a website automatically. Furthermore ClipCollect can convert any directory contents of your hard drive to HTML and build a complete website out of it with only 3 mouse clicks.
ClipCollect's building process looks like this:
- copy and paste text snippets from Windows Clipboard
- auto format, edit and assemble these clips
- save the resulting plain text notes to a database
- convert that database or any other directory and all of its contents automatically to HTML
- create a website, a manual or catalogue, an eBook or image gallery with 3 mouse clicks
Download Freeware ClipCollect for Windows
Features of and ideas behind ClipCollect:
ClipCollect is Freeware and runs on all versions of Windows from Windows 95 up to Windows Vista. ClipCollect will not write to the registry and you can remove the program just by removing its folder. And it is real Freeware without any unwanted "features".
- HTML Editor
This website builder is a special sort of HTML Editor. It is an editor for plain text with auto formatting and an automatic HTML generator which creates a whole web site.
- Collect text data with copy and paste from Windows Clipboard
This combination utility is for the modern hunter-gatherer. Fragments of text are gathered and patch work like assembled to formatted text clips into a hierarchical database.
- Concentrate on important information
One basic idea of ClipCollect is to copy important sentences or parts out of a bigger text document and assemble them to a formatted note in order to concentrate information.
- Format automatically with Clean, Deflate, Tidy, Wrap, Pack and Press
Copying and pasting pieces of text together often needs a bit of beautifying. ClipCollect has an automatic formatter with different modes.
- Edit and format text alternately
To get a text with proper paragraphs, list items and indentation, you can format and edit text alternately without explicitly saving and selecting, allowing for a minimum number of actions and mouse clicks.
- Extract, condense and save information to your personal database
Have you ever thought about how many things you read and what you actually remember of that? What you can recall when you need it? The huge amount of information in the Internet, in your emails and other documents, which you digest from day to day, vanishes slowly and unnoticed from your memory. Yes, it is frustrating. With ClipCollect you extract and save the essence of information in the easiest and quickest possible way. Without any real effort you will grow your personal database over time.
- Select the essence and form a synopsis
You do not have to save a whole document in an arbitrary data format, when only a few sentences are of interest for you. With ClipCollect you easily assemble single pieces of text automatically formatted to a synopsis. So you don't have to read a whole document when you later want to recall only the important part of the information.
- Save data orderly and retrieve it easily
With ClipCollect you are prepared, when the ubiquitous question arises: Save to where? Its hierarchical database will improve your chances to find what you are later searching for.
- Export, convert and mirror any file directory structure to HTML
To browse your data locally or publish it, you can convert ClipCollect's database, part of it or any other directory of your hard disk to HTML. All subdirectories, text and media files get assembled into the resulting HTML pages whose linkage mirrors the directory structure.
- The HTML converter generates a site with text and multimedia files
Input file types that get processed are: txt, htm, html, bmp, gif, jpg, jpeg, png, swf. Other files can optionally get a download link. All that gets built around a navigational bar, which makes browsing the hierarchy easy.
- Control the automatic creation of the HTML pages
Web design with ClipCollect takes place in assembling the source directory structure. Individual files can be skipped, and file types to be processed can be chosen. The start file name is under your control and there are options for a header, footer and css file with predefined classes for the generic elements of the navigational structure and the contents.
- Create and publish a homepage or website, a manual or catalogue, an eBook or image gallery
The outcome can serve as a homepage or website, as a manual or catalogue, as an eBook or image gallery or as a hierarchical text database. You can create a website that is ready for upload directly and quickly around some content like images or Flash with only 3 mouse clicks!
- Content management and linking the site
The generated HTML file names are guaranteed to be kept even on a fundamental change of the source directory structure as long as source file names and dates are not changed. Thus these auto generated HTML pages can be manually linked into an existing site as a subsite. This name stability allows for simple content management with a directory synchronization tool like e.g. Total Commander.
- Web authoring or batch processing of HTML conversion
ClipCollect can load and save different configurations making it possible to maintain different parts of its database as different websites. The config file can be specified in the command line for silent batch processing of the HTML export and automatic shut down.
- Clipboard Manager
With its ability to save text snippets hierarchically ordered and load them back into the input area, ClipCollect has basic Clipboard Tool functionality.
- Personal Information Manager
Being not quite a PIM, ClipCollect can assist your Personal Information Manager with its full text database or its log file or journal, which is the right storage channel for temporary information like online confirmation codes.
- Reformat emails with broken formats
The format of an ascii text email often is not what one considers to be a format. In the same way ClipCollect formats a new email it can reformat a garbled one.
The easy and recommended way: Just download the installer, doubleclick the file and follow the instructions - the installation takes only some seconds. The installer-version has an uninstaller.
Alternatively you can download the zip file, if you like to do the installation yourself. You will need a tool for unzipping. Installation is done by simply extracting all of its contents into any directory and creating a link in the start menu to ClipCollect.exe. Beyond that both versions are identical.
ClipCollect's Online Help Manual has more information about its data collecting and website building capabilities. The help manual is generated by ClipCollect itself in two slightly different versions as an online help manual and as a disk based or install file included one. Both use the same source files but have a different configuration with a specific header, footer and css file.
Web sites generated with ClipCollect:
- Squeak goodies. ClipCollect generates automatically a link for a zip file, which gets combined with a text file and a screenshot image into each page of this small downloads catalogue.
- Squeak FAQ. This hierarchical text database converted to HTML is my personal database of text snippets of the Squeak Smalltalk mailing list.
- Multiple images on a page demonstrated by this little astro site.